Hi, my name is Jennifer and I am the lead soul behind Soul Carrier. Soul Carrier is the answer to a question my mother posed to me the summer before my senior year at ASU. That summer, my entire family was involved in a car accident that took the lives of both of my parents. Moments before my father’s SUV rolled over in a tire blow out, my mother turned around and said to me, “Where do you want to go…” She never got to finish that sentence, and I never got to tell her my answer. I thought becoming a prestigious attorney should be my answer to that question. However my soul had other plans. And so I set out for the shiny lights of Manhattan and Parsons The New School of Design. My time in NYC included interning for Oscar de la Renta, dressing models at New York Fashion Week, designing products for Henri Bendel, and working in product development at American Eagle. My fashion adventures also took me to Christmas parties with Marc Jacobs, fashion shows where I sat behind Anna Wintour, and jobs at Conde Nast that eerily resembled the movie The Devil Wears Prada.
As incredible as Manhattan was, my soul longed to be back in Phoenix. And so I moved home and started working for a marketing firm that was coordinating the festivities surrounding the grand opening of Barneys at Scottsdale Fashion Square. The mall decided to host an event called "The Mannequin Is Our Muse," in which valley residents were invited to take blank mannequins and turn them into art.
Jenn shares how she found her true north
on the "HER SOUL STORY" podcast.
Click here to listen
I collaborated with my friend Bob Wilkinson. The mannequin we created was covered in vibrant rag rugs from the Dollar Store. Bob, a fellow creative, encouraged me to use my design degree, and thus, out of a pile rag rugs, Soul Carrier started to take shape.I want to design products that bring more beauty and light to the world. Products that inspire people to carry their soul in every action they take. I want to encourage my customers to walk with integrity towards THEIR true north (not the direction other people want them to walk towards), and to be authentic to what their soul truly desires. I believe your soul is your moral compass and learning to tune out the external noise is the one of the greatest things you can do for yourself. Below is the manifesto I wrote, it is the compass I use to guide my life, and build this brand.
In the words of Avicii, “Life's a game made for everyone and love is the prize.” I hope my latest offering of handbags makes an impact on you, and inspires you to pursue what you LOVE. May your soul always be your greatest guide as you journey through the game of life.
Soul Carrier Manifesto
• Square EVERYTHING up against your True North
• Choose authenticity over being liked, right, or “good”
• Choose honest expression over guilt-ridden responses
• Mindfully select who and what gets a place on your life’s canvas
• Stop tormenting yourself trying to be more, do more, connect more, have more
• You are ENOUGH in this very moment
• More does not always equate to a better standard of living
• You are worthy regardless of outside opinions and thoughts
• You are valid regardless of what you accomplish
• Make kindness the standard
• Come from and stand in LOVE
• Be intentional with your time
• Alignment and integrity supersedes all
• Allow others the space to be upset
• Allow for the grace to pivot away
• Be at peace that some situations, friendships, and relationships might have an expiration date
• Relinquish the past and stop trying to manipulate the future
• We SHOW up
• Restrain from becoming intoxicated on promises of grandeur
• A foundation cemented in grounded actions is what will propel Soul Carrier to fly
• Consciously nominate who gets a seat at the Soul Carrier table
• Be bold, fierce, and courageous
• Never dim your light in exchange for someone else’s approval
• Don’t shrink back just so someone else can scream and shout
• Be Direct and Clear in your delivery
• Embrace your truth even if it means disappointing
• Be present. Honor this moment. Savor It.
• Acknowledge that what once was, may no longer be
• OWN how rare and exquisite it is to even exist