Posted on June 18 2013
I have been on a book reading spree lately. Each book I devour seems to resonate with me and speak to exactly where I am in life.
Here are the books that I have "consumed" so far this year. They are not only shaping me but shaping how I want to manage and grow Soul Carrier:
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
- Three Feet From Gold by Sharon Lechter and Greg Reid
- Outwitting the Devil by Napoleon Hill and Sharon Lechter
- A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
- Design Is a Job by Mike Monteiro
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
My up-next books are anything and everything written by Brene Brown (The Gifts of Imperfection) and Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg and Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich. And my spin teacher Kindra Hall's recently published book Otherwise Untold : A Collection of Stories Most People Would Keep To Themselves. Go Kindra, so proud of you :-)
And any future Soul Carrier employees should read these books to understand my philosophy on business and how I want to run my brand:
- Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
- Let My People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard
- Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh
- Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie
- In The Bubble : Designing In a Complex World by John Thackara
- Normal Gets You Nowwhere by Kelly Cutrone
- If You Have To Cry Go Outside by Kelly Cutrone
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weiseberger -- I vowed that through all my crazy internships and fashion industry experiences in NYC I would never treat people the way this book reveals that some of the nuts in fashion do. I remember reading The Devil Wears Prada and thinking "Yep, that happened. Yep, my friend had to do that. Yep, we were yelled at because we didn't get the right kind of "ice" for the sodas or the fact hangers were facing the wrong way. Or the fact that the model's feet were too big for the Balenciaga wedges and it was somehow our fault -- we weren't the stylists or creative directors who had hired the models! I'm all for aiming high and doing it right, but being mean is plain ridiculous! Kindness gets things done way faster than yelling and screaming does! But that is a blog topic in and of itself.
Go forth and fill your brains with greatness! It's a journey get some good road maps to help a long the way!